Sunday, February 21, 2016

Fledgling Blog

I'm starting a new blog today.

How exciting!

Well.  Exciting for me.

Is exciting really the right word?

Escapism for me.  Yes, that's better.

See, for the last couple of decades, I've been, first and foremost, a Mom.

Mom to six darlings that have led me to the drink.

Because there's only so much cooking, cleaning, washing, hair-cutting, refereeing, counseling, nursing, toenail cutting, diaper changing, breastfeeding, homework helping, sports practicing, chauffeuring, boo-boo kissing, play-date arranging, and life-lesson teaching that one can do without needing a 12 step program.

Add to that that all of this took place on a small farm complete with horses, goats, chickens, and other  walks of life in the furred, feathered and scaled divisions.  So you can add a few less-than-glamorous jobs to the above list. Just to mention a few: poop shoveling, rat killing, and testicle removing.

But nowadays?  I'm finding that my life has taken a new twist.  I only have four still in high school, and one of them is flying off to college in the fall.  So I've started doing, for lack of a better term, arts and crafts.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

That sounds so...

so....

so third grade art class.

So kindergarten birthday party.

But saying I've become an artist doesn't seem to fit.

I don't even have a beret.

And the stuff I create is hard to categorize.

Am I a mitten-knitter? No, but I have made mittens out of recycled sweaters.

Am I a painter?  Not really, but I paint folksy things on wood and sometimes canvas.


Seamstress?  Well, I do sew, but mostly I make pillows out of dish towels.  Which I consider cheating, but there it is.


Sometimes I make floral arrangements with painted Mason jars, or hot packs and boo-boo bags, or assorted stuff with old horse tack.







So there it is. And here I am. Looking to find a way to get the things I do out there. I'm selling things at a TO DIE FOR little shop called Rooted, located in New London, PA. I love-love-love Rooted. It's a consignment boutique, with all of the items for sale coming from local artisans that make soaps and jewelry and purses and scarves and gourmet popcorn and all kids of pretties and lovelies. And I bet every single last one of them has a theme or a category of the things they make. Everyone but me.

This will be a learning phase for me.  I am hoping to connect with other crafters/artists, get some ideas, maybe start doing some craft fairs or start an Etsy shop.

Did I mention learning?  Because this is all new to me.  I only just started making my first pieces  a couple months ago.

So please say hello and let me know what kinds of things you do, and how you market, and whether you do craft fairs or online shops, or just anything you can tell me about what you do.

And how you dedicate time to your passion in between raising your kids and hitting the sauce.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, I've read your other blog for years and can empathize with some of the challenges you've faced having dealt with similar. You are going to do great with this new adventure your life is now on. It will take time but happiness and joy will make regular appearances. Just remember that none of us can "fix" another no matter how much we would like to and that God is always there for us and loves you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! I'm feeling really good about this new venture. Like really, really good. I feel like it's MINE, you know? Now I just have to carve out some time to create more pieces! Thanks again for stopping by and commenting! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Anne,
    Congratulations on this new direction. With my two girls off to college, I feel the same stir to be more creative. Some days nothing comes of it (ha.) but some days, I say "What the heck...try it!" and doing one new thing sparks even more energy to be creative. Today I am making organizers for my kitchen drawers and, I must say, they are looking FAB. I also have a shop of vintage goods on Etsy. I had hopes/visions/delusions of selling things I made in my rustic & repurposed style, but still working on that.
    Good luck with the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb! So it looks like I'm not alone in my boat, lol! I guess whether I sell tons of stuff or just dribs and drabs, I'm happy bc I love what I'm doing. Very fulfilling. Sounds like we do the same kind of thing. I'll have to check out your Etsy shop. Thanks for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Anne, I'm over at Rooted (love it:) and also on Etsy, but now have my own site as well. We seem to follow similar paths in our creative pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what are you selling at Rooted, Carrie? I'll go and check you out. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a studio in my home now where I make soaps, creams and put together gift boxes for busy ladies in need of a little time out from life:) Good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, we do seem to follow similar creative paths!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed reading your whole blog to date (7/18/16) and looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ARC! Always so nice to meet new people through blogging. I feel like you and I are going to be good friends!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...