Thursday, June 1, 2017

Branching Out

I decided to mix things up a bit by taking a break from lettered signs and moving in the direction of paintings.
Like, actual paintings.

But other than high school art, and one drawing class in college, I haven't had much in the way of instruction.  So I was a bit timid  when go-time came a-callin'.  So yes, I painted a picture, but no, I used no color.  Is black a color?  

Still, I found my first attempt none too shabby, so I girded my loins and put some colors in my little plastic palette.  I picked up my paint brush, took a deep breath, and tried again.

Much to my surprise, this goat appeared out of nowhere on this scrap of barn wood.  Like he had been hiding in there.


Confidence bolstered, I tried a few more.

I was having fun!  I was finding my fair share of frustration, too, but that's to be expected, I should think.  Being pretty new to this and all.

And so I gathered up my newly minted animal paintings on barn wood and slate and other odds and ends canvasses, and brought them with me to an artisan's market I was signed up for.  They did great.  They flew off the shelves!  I sold just about everything.

I have some custom signs I'm working on right now (lettered pieces), but once they're checked off my to-do list, I will turn my attention to exploring this animal thing a bit more.  I've signed myself up for a beginner's acrylics class this summer, and I'm anxious to learn more about this and looking forward to expanding my abilities.

And I welcome any tips or feedback from any artists!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wordless Wednesday: New Pieces

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Wordless Wednesday

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Smalls Saturday:How to Hand Sew an Invisible Stitch (Tutorial)

I was recently asked by the shop owner at one of my consignment shops if I could make some outdoor pillows.  So I bought some really pretty outdoor fabric and made up about a dozen pillows.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to do any tutorials or pictures, but I thought I would share with you a new stitch I learned.  In the past when I made pillows, I would either close them with a machine stitch or hand-stitch, but the seam was always visible.  Neat, but visible, no doubt.  I didn't know any other way!

Well, I finally bothered to learn how to close pillow cases (or stuffed animals, for that matter) with an invisible seam.  It's called a blind-ladder stitch, and I found it pretty easy.  So I'm posting a YouTube video here so you can learn how, as well.

Give it a try, your projects will look so professional!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Wordless Wednesday: The Creative Process

Monday, April 10, 2017

Makeover Monday: Ladder Display Shelves

I bought a couple of old ladders through the online yard sale sites. Ten bucks a pop.  I wanted to use them to make display shelves for the vendor fairs I'll be taking part in.
(First one coming up May 6th, yay! )

So today, being the drop-dead gorgeous day that it was, I took my beat-up ladders out to the driveway, and I gave 'em a good old-fashioned white wash.  Just watered-down white paint.  I wanted a nice chippy weathered look, and I had some milk paint, so I used that.  It wasn't enough to do both, so I used chalk paint for the other one.

Then I pawed through my stash of barn boards and found enough to use for shelves.  I measured, pulled nails, and cut down till I had what I needed.

And it's perfect!  Exactly what I was after.

I can't wait to put them to use!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Wordless Wednesday

I've been saying it for years... it's all about the camera angle.

Same cat. Same day.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...