Monday, November 4, 2019

New Look For the Old Headboard

I had made this headboard at my old house, but the fabric didn't match the decor/colors in my new bedroom.













































I wanted something soft and quilty, and shabby chic-ish.

And I found exactly that in these great quilted pillow shams at Goodwill!




































So I washed them, then opened them up so I could use the fabric from the back, as well, because the sizing wasn't right. I know I could have just removed the old fabric from the headboard, AND the foam underneath to make it the right size of these pillowcases, but that would have been ENTIRELY too much work.














































And of course, since I did not take my time and do this right, I ripped up the binding a lot.


Because I never say to myself, 

"Today I will do the XYZ project.  I will gather my supplies and block out time."

No.  I just say, maybe between throwing in laundry and feeding the chickens,
"Lemme real quick do this headboard project.  It'll just take a sec."















































So I had to fix it.














































Use the sewing machine, they said!

But....


Welllll......





































So hot glue it was.

I hot glued everything.


I hot glued the binding back together.


I hot glued the fabric down.


I hot glued the skin on my finger pads right off.  If I ever need to be identified by my fingerprints, I'm getting away with some crime scott free.


The fabric from the back of the pillow cases was too thin to adequately cover the existing fabric, so I (you guessed it) hot glued some old canvas down first, then glued the fabric over that.















































And there you have it. Nothing was measured unless you count the eyeball method, so consequently nothing is square, nothing even.

It probably wouldn't hold up to much....ummm.... "activity", but the only activity this headboard is seeing is of the falling asleep while reading sort.



Maybe next thing I'll tackle will be to rehang/recenter the mirror on the wall above.  

Lemme just block out some time to get to that.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...